Monday, February 17, 2014

Engagement FAQ


People cry a lot when you tell them you've gotten engaged.  I'm hoping this is a good thing, and I think I'm safe in my assumption that it is because the tears are almost always followed by a near-suffocating hug of congratulations.  Immediately following the tears and the hug are the questions.  So I figured I'd create an Engagement FAQ for all of our friends and family that aren't near-by to crush our larynx in a hug and ask all the impending questions.



How'd it happen - did you know?
I never really know how to answer this question.  I mean, I knew once I had the ring on my finger but literally up until that moment I thought we were sitting down to have a serious discussion about pizza toppings.  Suffice it to say, nobody was more surprised than me.  It happened here at home, in our little living room in our little house with our little dogs.  It was the day we'd tackled the big move of the wardrobe and I'd been hard at work trying to put the room back together.  I was hot, I was sweaty, and I was hungry.  I hadn't eaten much all day because I'd been busy moving furniture, putting furniture together, etc. I had suggested we order pizza since that would allow me to keep working.   Terry kept hollering for me to come into the living room and I kept ignoring him because clearly I was in the middle of doing something.  Finally I acquiesced, and once I sat still long enough he asked.  And I don't really remember what he said exactly because all the blood rushed to my ears and my stomach felt like it was in my throat and I couldn't stop looking at the ring, and the next thing I knew I heard Kenny chewing on something.  I had to interrupt Terry to find out what the dog was eating, which turned out to be my ring box.  Once I'd retrieved it, Terry was kind enough to remind me that I hadn't actually answered the question.  The answer was yes.  And I'm still waiting on that pizza that we never got to order.  



Have you set a date?
Nope.  We know we want it to be warm outside, and that's about it.  I do know that I can't get my life together enough to try to coordinate something for this year, so it will most likely be in 2015.  There, 2015, that counts as a date.  




Do you know where you want to have it?
Another nope.  I would like to have it outside, with lots of flowers, our dogs, and maybe a pinata or two.  I'm kidding - Axtell/Sapper Family, please do not go out and purchase 15 variations of wedding pinatas.  I'd love to have it in our backyard, but presently with the exception of my mother, I am alone in this vision.  My thought is if we can build a 7' Snow Chihuahua in our backyard we can have an intimate wedding back there.  Needless to say, we're still considering our options, and ultimately the location will help decide the date.


Are you going to wear a dress?
Yes, I'm going to wear a dress.  I'd prefer that Terry not wear a dress but I will support him in whatever wardrobe choice he makes. 



Where do you want to go on your honeymoon?
Are you kidding me - I've got to plan a wedding and a vacation at the same time?!  I call dibs on our family beach condo in Ocean City for a week - date and time TBD.


So there you have it.  I'm frustrated with my lack of preparation for this.  It's like the world's worst pop quiz; you know the most important answer, but it doesn't count for much if you don't know all the subsequent answers and I didn't have time to study.  Because it's me, I want it all planned yesterday.   The way I look at it is this will be my greatest DIY project to date.  Just short of building and refinishing all of the tables for the reception, I think we can all agree that I will be relatively hands-on.  And with all my projects, they don't always pan out in a linear fashion.  So sure, there are big details outstanding like where and when, but little things like centerpieces are not only determined but purchased and sitting in my basement.  Once I stop thinking about it the answers will come to me.  I can see it, I just have to figure out to how to make it happen.


A special thank you to my dear friend Anne for the beautiful engagement tulips.  I'm done taking pictures of them now, I promise!  And in all seriousness - Terry and I are extremely grateful for all the well-wishes we have received from friends and family.  All of your support means the world to both of us, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I think the back yard is perfect. Lets get a landscraper in there with some ideas and some flowers planted. Doody Calls can be enlisted, hire the kids that you used to baby sit for to serve and clean up, face said he would run the shuttle BAM... DONE

    ReplyDelete