Sunday, October 20, 2013

Something Old & Something New

Howdy!  Long time, no blog!  We've been steady working, I promise.  Between the job that pays the bills, and the job I wish would pay the bills, there's been little time for much else.  How about a fun before and after?  

Before we get to the before though, I have to share my Something New.  With the recent arrival of cooler weather our house has become perpetually chilly.  Luckily for me, I work in the basement which is oh-so toasty.  But I don't sleep in the basement which is why my Something New was deemed a necessity.  


OMG NEW FLANNEL PUPPY PJ'S.  How cute are they?  I mean, they were pretty much needed for survival purposes only to keep me warm at night - it doesn't hurt that they're adorable.



And would you look at how stinking cute that little bow is.  Complete with little paw prints!  They're coral, they're aqua, they're fluffy, and they have pooches on them.  How could I not get them?  



Just look at those two!  I love them, and I'm proud to say I'm all snuggled up in them already.  They couldn't been any softer.  They're so comfy it almost makes me want to catch a cold and live in them for the next week.

OK onto the before and after, which is also my Something Old.  We all remember my new desk chair that was in need of a desk.  

 
I may have put the cart before the horse by purchasing the chair before the desk, but all you need is one tiny element to inspire a vision.  And this chair made my heart sing.  I decided to tackle this guy for my old, new, desk.



I named it the Paris Writers Desk because as I was working it reminded me of something out of a Paris flea market.  I've never been to Paris, much less a Paris flea market, but I did study French for like six years and can say things like "Bonjour" and "Merci" and "Je suis tres fatigue" which means "I'm really tired" all with a pretty convincing French accent so I'm kind of an expert.  In a previous life this guy was a dressing table/vanity and what appealed to me was the ability to store my laptop within the table itself since the top opens up.  A cluttered desktop drives me crazy and with the addition of a freshly drilled hole in the back for computer cord, that problem would be solved.

Ready to see the After?



Ta-da!  Or as they say in France - ta-da!  Or wait, maybe it's voila.  Or is that Italian?  Anyway, check out my new desk!  And on the inside...



A soft, creamy aqua interior!  Also, everything I said about a cluttered desktop driving me crazy is evidently all lies.  Here are some close-ups of desk and the clutter:

This hardware is so French y'all.


It's sprayed in Rustoleum's Heirloom White, which is one of my faves.  Here's a little side embellishment on the desk.



I could have tried to highlight it with a glaze or a contrasting color, but I like it as a subtle detail (the French are very subtle) and painted it the same color as the desk with that in mind.



I snagged that lamp today from a thirft store - $6!  Not too shabby, except in a chic way which is totally intentional. 




And lastly chair meets desk:



I love it.  It's a little bit of old meets new, vintage meets modern.  And best of all, it's functional as demonstrated below:




It's been so long since I've had a proper work space (except at work), I forgot how nice it is!


Bonne nuit!



 

     


1 comment:

  1. how f'ing awsome!!!!! Post desk pic on spacebook too.....Bon appetite....

    ReplyDelete